On Wednesday, June 1, 1960, at 8:30 PM a group of people gathered at 1200 C Street, N.E. at the home of the late Mr. and Mrs. Henry Carter.
The purpose of this gathering was to start a Baptist mission. The Late Rev. J.R. Sadler organized and named the mission. Once the mission was voted as a church, the name of this new church would be New Morning Star Baptist Church, which is found in the book of Revelations 22:16. This name was given to Rev. Sadler through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.
The founders of this mission were: Rev. and Mrs. D. B. Walker of Anderson, SC; Rev. James Siegler and Rev. Andrew Siegler both of Washington, D.C.; Mr. George Coleman of Washington, DC; Mr. James Moore of Washington, DC and Rev. and Mrs. J.R. Sadler of Washington, DC.
The first sermon was preached by Rev. D. B. Walker. His subject was “There Is No Substitute For The Word Of God.” The first member to join the mission was Sister Cherry, of Washington, DC. The first offering that was raised that night was $60.00, and the first revival was preached by Rev. McDaniel of West Virginia.
On May 17, 1963, Rev. Andrew Fowler, pastor of the Capital View Baptist Church, was asked to moderate the recognizing of this mission into a regular Missionary Baptist Church. The new location was 215 12 th Street, SE, Washington, DC. Thirteen churches were represented at this service, persons with letters were asked to come forward and present their letters. Qualified members were asked to read the resolution and were voted constituent members. The Late Rev. J. R. Sadler suggested that the officers of the mission should become the officers of the organization. The Late Rev. William Tyler, pastor of The First Baptist Church of Marshall Heights was the preacher.
On Sunday, January 23, 1966, a “Dedication Service” was held at the new location, 1400 E Street, SE, Washington, DC, the new home of the New Morning Star Baptist Church. The dedication sermon was preached by the Late Rev. Charles Henry Hamilton, pastor of the Greater New Hope Baptist Church. After many years of hard work and with God’s blessings and guidance, the Late Rev. J.R. Sadler led many people to Christ. He was a God sent man who loved people. He was born on May 1, 1911, in the Heathen District of Anderson, SC, and went home to be with the Lord on January 8, 1998. He left behind his longtime companion and friend Sister Sarah E. Sadler, and seven living children and one deceased.
The Late Rev. J.R. Sadler pastored over three generations, preaching the gospel to all mankind. He attended the Washington Baptist Seminary and was a member of the Missionary Baptist Ministers’ Conference of DC and Vicinity, a member of the Hearing Committee, and a member of the Committee of 100 Ministers’. He was also a member of the Potomac River Association, the Baptist Convention of the District of Columbia and Vicinity, and the NAACP.
The former First Lady of New Morning Star Baptist Church, the Late Sarah E. Sadler, was a blessing and a joy, and a very humble servant of the Lord. She was a member of the Senior Choir for many years. She also served as the Chairperson of the Women’s Day Program.
Under the leadership of the Late Rev. J. R. Sadler, there were several Ministers, Deacons, Trustees, Officers and members and several clubs and auxiliaries. With God’s guidance, New Morning Star Baptist Church was able to purchase the building at 1400 E Street.
Since then, we have utilized it well in the service of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. The church has an ever-increasing congregation of members, officers, and friends. Our progress and growth included numerous auxiliaries, clubs, and programs. The church continues to conduct its weekly prayer meeting and bible study programs, evangelism team training, annual events, and outreach programs that assist and aid the poor, the sick and the shut-in of our community family.
We are continuing to renovate and improve our facility into becoming a nicer place to conduct the many ministries we provide to meet the spiritual needs of our people more effectively.
To further refine our history, New Morning Star, on the first Sunday in September 1995, witnessed the passing of the torch from Rev. J. R. Sadler to our present pastor, Donald K. Sadler, which was unanimously received.
Since that time, Rev. Donald K. Sadler has served our church well and has led us to reorganize our church ministries, burned the church mortgage and has facilitated the growth and development in our church and community. Pastor Sadler has led us to purchase our new facility located at 5016 Sheriff Road, NE.
On Sunday, June 4, 2006, at 10:45 a.m. a pre-dedicatorial service was held in the sanctuary of the new building. The service was entitled “From the Tabernacle to the Temple” at which time the church placed our Ark of the Covenant filled with historical and sacred artifacts kept from the beginning of our history until this day. At 1:00 p.m. the members and the pastor met at 1400 E Street SE to motorcade to 5016 Sheriff Road, NE at which time a ribbon cutting ceremony and dedicatoral service was held commencing residence at our new location. The Rev. Dr. Melvin G. Brown, pastor of the Greater New Hope Baptist Church was the preacher. The dedidcatoral services were held throughout the week ending on Sunday, June 11 with a banquet celebration.
The Lord continues to bless the New Morning Star Baptist Church family who are proud of its rich history and heritage. We continue to strive to fulfill the mandates of the Master for Kingdom Building by embracing our church theme which is “Using our Time, Talents and Treasures to do Effective Ministry.”